Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   World War 1 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/world-war-1-a-45609.html)

Retlaw 03-01-2010 10:47

Re: World War 1

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 774709)
Many thanks Retlaw, what a shock to see a photo of him he only looks about 12. I know he lied about his age, parents tried to get him back but to late he was on his way. Dont know why they notified his sister Catherine, Im sure his mum &dad were still living, I ask my dad. Thanks again.

That picture of him was taken before the war.
The reason for notifying his sister would be written on the back of his attestion form under next of kin.
I've attached the newspaper article, it records him as 27 years of age when he died.
Looks like he had served before the war and was a reservist.

Retlaw.

sm_counsell 03-01-2010 14:46

Thanks Retlaw for the photo of Anthony Gilmartin which you sent to Alan who then forwarded to me.
Anthony was my maternal gramdmother's brother. My gran did live at 37 Willow St but not with her parents. She was already married to Jack Counsell and living at this address in 1915.
How can I download the newspaper article ?(bit of a novice on the computer!)
I think it's absolutely marvellous the work you are doing, unfortunately I can't contribute anything.-
Rgds.

Retlaw 03-01-2010 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 774876)
Thanks Retlaw for the photo of Anthony Gilmartin which you sent to Alan who then forwarded to me.
Anthony was my maternal gramdmother's brother. My gran did live at 37 Willow St but not with her parents. She was already married to Jack Counsell and living at this address in 1915.
How can I download the newspaper article ?(bit of a novice on the computer!)

The newspaper article can't be downloaded. I digitally photographed the original Acc Observer from 1914 to 1922 and odd bits from later years. some of the Acc Gazette. The Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 1914-1919, some of Burnleys newpapers and some of Chorleys, about 5500 pictures in all. Then had to touch them up a bit as some of the newspapers were yellowing in some areas.

Retlaw.

katex 03-01-2010 17:15

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 774911)
The newspaper article can't be downloaded.

Retlaw.

So how come I managed to save it in 'My Pictures' then ? Or am I not understanding and need of that frozen sheep's brains you are saving for me in your freezer .. :p Suspect this is all Smc wants ?

Attachment 15238

Retlaw 03-01-2010 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 774923)
So how come I managed to save it in 'My Pictures' then ? Or am I not understanding and need of that frozen sheep's brains you are saving for me in your freezer .. :p Suspect this is all Smc wants ?

Attachment 15238

Hi Snakehead.
I thought he was he was looking for
a web site with that article on it,
thougt everyone, even you, would know right
click to save.
I have nearly 3000 such news clippings and several
hundreds more I have'nt processed yet.
Why do you need to save it to my pictures ?.
Bet it finishes up on some body's web site, not from you of course.

Retlaw

sm_counsell 04-01-2010 15:18

Don't really understand Katex's remarks. I have saved the picture but I was interested in reading the article. Perhaps I didn't explain well.
By the way I'm a 'She' not a 'He' and why would I want sheep's brains anyway!!

katex 04-01-2010 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm_counsell (Post 775262)
Don't really understand Katex's remarks. I have saved the picture but I was interested in reading the article. Perhaps I didn't explain well.
By the way I'm a 'She' not a 'He' and why would I want sheep's brains anyway!!

Haha ... sorry SMC .. you misread my post. The sheep's brains was aimed at Retlaw ... not you ... he thinks I need a brain transplant, and keeps offering me the spare one he keeps in his freezer .. :D

It is just me that saves it in My Pictures initially ('cause this is what comes up first when it asks for a file) ... then I decide later where to put it.

You should have right clicked first on the image Retlaw put up .. go to top of list to open link ... this brings you into a larger image in another window. Then right click on it again ... Go to 'save as' .. this is when it gives you the option of which file you wish to put it in. It should take the text with it. I would have put this in 'My pictures' anyway because the text may have been too small to read, but can open it from there into your Paint Shop Pro.. which you can enlarge.

Now, I probably will have confused you more, and someone will come along to tell you an easier way ... :D:D

Retlaw 04-01-2010 18:11

Now, I probably will have confused you more, and someone will come along to tell you an easier way ... :D:D[/quote]
Yes you have Snake Head, why have you done two operations when 1 will do, right click on news cutting scroll down to save picture as
and it will open your my pictures folder
just click save, it already has a file name.
then you can view it in Widows Explorer and magnify to what ever size is readable.
If you click on print in Explorer it give you a choice of sizes to print it, but why print it if you can read and remember.

Sirry Iriot, sorry daft bat is better.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Retlaw.

katex 04-01-2010 19:29

See what I mean ?? Just that a thumbnail remains as a thumbnail in your file initially .... :p

Is this the blind leading the blind ?... :D:D

Retlaw 04-01-2010 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 775339)
See what I mean ?? Just that a thumbnail remains as a thumbnail in your file initially .... :p

Is this the blind leading the blind ?... :D:D

Aye eck Medusa
Con ti nod read, wad dus this seh.

then you can view it in Widows Explorer and magnify to what ever size is readable.
If you click on print in Explorer it give you a choice of sizes to print it, but why print it if you can read and remember.

Have you never seen the little magnifier at the bottom on the page

Retlaw.

CHAZ1975 24-06-2010 13:25

Hi Retlaw

My gt Grandfather was pte James Ormerod 27670 born 1897 lived at 9 stone row clayton-le-moors joined the 2nd/4th loyal north lancs 1915 and was transfered to the 8th battalion loyal north lancs 1916 and then the kings own royal lancaster regiment 1919 i think he may of been involved in the battle of The Messines? As you can see , i have found out quite a bit about him already my grandmother says he was gassed by the germans?? is there anything else you can tell me , i would love to find out anything more or perhaps a photo????

Retlaw 24-06-2010 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 824118)
Hi Retlaw

My gt Grandfather was pte James Ormerod 27670 born 1897 lived at 9 stone row clayton-le-moors joined the 2nd/4th loyal north lancs 1915 and was transfered to the 8th battalion loyal north lancs 1916 and then the kings own royal lancaster regiment 1919 i think he may of been involved in the battle of The Messines? As you can see , i have found out quite a bit about him already my grandmother says he was gassed by the germans?? is there anything else you can tell me , i would love to find out anything more or perhaps a photo????

Your Gt Grandad
Joined up in July 1916, alloted the number 27670 in the Loyals age 19, was 5-7 tall, hair brown eyes blue, next of kin Thomas Ormerod (father) 9 Stone Row, C-l-M. He was gassed and admitted to Wharncliffe Hospital 18-5-1918, discharged from hospital 19-7-1918. posted to K.O.R.L. alloted new number 51542.
It would appear that on his demob Nov 6th 1919.
He opted to go to Archangel.
The only way you will find out where he was when gassed is the battalion war diaries, his name will not be mentioned just the day to day incidents.

Retlaw.

CHAZ1975 24-06-2010 15:51

thanks very much

please forgive my ignorance what was archangel? and where do you think i could find the war diaries? would they be at kew or at fulwood baracks ? would they be available for public viewing?

Retlaw 24-06-2010 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 824125)
thanks very much

please forgive my ignorance what was archangel? and where do you think i could find the war diaries? would they be at kew or at fulwood baracks ? would they be available for public viewing?

Arcangel was a campaign that took place in Northern Russia in 1919, to help the white Russians.
Men from G.B. and some of the Commonwealth countries were involved, even the septics poked their noses in.
More men died from the weather than from bullets.

Retlaw.
Forgot to add the War Diaries, there should be a copy of the Loyals at Fulwood, don't know about the Royal Lancs, ring Fulwood and ask but not on a monday, their shut.

sanzie 03-07-2010 20:40

My maternal grandfather served with the MGC, private 84352 & lived on Blackburn Road, Accrington. Is this area covered by research? I do not have any photos or information about his military service, just a few old photos which I could scan for you if interested. Should you have an information on him I would be most interested. With thanks & kind regards.

Retlaw 03-07-2010 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanzie (Post 826195)
My maternal grandfather served with the MGC, private 84352 & lived on Blackburn Road, Accrington. Is this area covered by research? I do not have any photos or information about his military service, just a few old photos which I could scan for you if interested. Should you have an information on him I would be most interested. With thanks & kind regards.

Hi sanzie.
I need a bit more than his service number, I've got over 14000 names in my files, what was his surname.
Retlaw.

CHAZ1975 08-07-2010 11:56

I take it the exhibition at howarth art gallery is your's retlaw? the lancashire evening telegraph have a story on it today , unfortunately the fail to mention when it opens and how long it is on for? i would like to come and see it at the weekend will it be open?

Retlaw 08-07-2010 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 827094)
I take it the exhibition at howarth art gallery is your's retlaw? the lancashire evening telegraph have a story on it today , unfortunately the fail to mention when it opens and how long it is on for? i would like to come and see it at the weekend will it be open?

Yes it was opened on July 1st & will be on till about October. Can't find it in my version of the Telegraph, one of their phoographers rang this morning wanting to take my photo along side the collection. He got told the same thing as Sky Television did last year, no bluudy way.

Retlaw.

lancsdave 08-07-2010 20:54

Faces of 2,200 Accrington WW1 heroes in new exhibition (From Lancashire Telegraph)

suedarbo 08-07-2010 22:56

I'm going to have a look at that too. Sounds really fascinating. Keep up the good work Retlaw, you are doing a marvelous job:D

cashman 08-07-2010 23:07

will have a sneck up wi paris, she,s particularly interested as she's got a relative on the oak hill park memorial.

Retlaw 08-07-2010 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 827284)
will have a sneck up wi paris, she,s particularly interested as she's got a relative on the oak hill park memorial.

WW1 or WW2.
Whats his name.
Retlaw.

sanzie 09-07-2010 12:03

Thank you Retlaw.
He was James Jones, born 1895, died 1929. Lived in Blackburn Road.
I can add occupation & full addresses as required, plus name of wife & children.
With kind regards.

Retlaw 09-07-2010 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanzie (Post 827362)
Thank you Retlaw.
He was James Jones, born 1895, died 1929. Lived in Blackburn Road.
I can add occupation & full addresses as required, plus name of wife & children.
With kind regards.

James Jones Pte. 84352. M.G.C. Cavalry.
152 Blackburn Rd, Accrington.
unfortunately his service records have not survived
the blitz in the last war.
Please P. M. me with family details
Thanks.
Retlaw.

cashman 09-07-2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 827288)
WW1 or WW2.
Whats his name.
Retlaw.

WW1 walter , Donald McNeil. she thinks he was only 17 when killed.

Retlaw 09-07-2010 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 827503)
WW1 walter , Donald McNeil. she thinks he was only 17 when killed.

Theres no McNeil. D. on the WW1 memorial in Oak Hill Park. Ther are 4 Donald McNeil's in Commonwealth War Graves, they all served in Scottish Regiments and were in their 20's.

Retlaw

cashman 09-07-2010 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 827518)
Theres no McNeil. D. on the WW1 memorial in Oak Hill Park. Ther are 4 Donald McNeil's in Commonwealth War Graves, the all served in Scottish Regiments and were in their 20's.

Retlaw

went up with her a few years back walter, she pointed it out to me.:confused: possible i spelt it wrong,? could be LL at end aint sure. will look tomoz on way up to haworth.

cashman 10-07-2010 13:43

ok have found photo of his war grave, a white cross PTE.McNEIL .I.D. below name it says KINGS n below that D W 6644? on back it says hermonvill ****** cemetry in the area of Caen.?

Retlaw 10-07-2010 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 827679)
ok have found photo of his war grave, a white cross PTE.McNEIL .I.D. below name it says KINGS n below that D W 6644? on back it says hermonvill ****** cemetry in the area of Caen.?

Pte. Joseph Donald McNeill, Kings Liverpoools, Died of Wounds 06-06-1944
Hermanville War Cemetery France.
The cemetery contains 1003 burials Joseph is in
Plot 1, row O, grave 5

cashman 10-07-2010 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 827685)
Pte. Joseph Donald McNeill, Kings Liverpoools, Died of Wounds 06-06-1944
Hermanville War Cemetery France.
The cemetery contains 1003 burials Joseph is in
Plot 1, row O, grave 5

cheers fer that walter, will probably take her out yon at some point next year, this uns spoken for.

cashman 10-07-2010 22:04

would just like to point out Retlaw was correct, paris had got the wrong war, her uncle is on the memorial in Oak Hill, but me being a numpty didn't know the lower one was W.W.2.:o

cashman 16-07-2010 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 827690)
cheers fer that walter, will probably take her out yon at some point next year, this uns spoken for.

going out yon April 2011, have booked yesterday, thanks again walter.;)

Retlaw 16-07-2010 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 829343)
going out yon April 2011, have booked yesterday, thanks again walter.;)

When you get there, in the right hand gate post to the cemetery there is a brass door, behind it should be a book of remembrance, sign the book, if the book isn't there report to the nearest C.W.G.
The frogs are after closing some of the cemetery's,
they want the land back, one of their excuses is no one visits, bull, they deliberately steal the books.
Retlaw.

cashman 16-07-2010 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 829354)
When you get there, in the right hand gate post to the cemetery there is a brass door, behind it should be a book of remembrance, sign the book, if the book isn't there report to the nearest C.W.G.
The frogs are after closing some of the cemetery's,
they want the land back, one of their excuses is no one visits, bull, they deliberately steal the books.
Retlaw.

no problem.;)

CHAZ1975 02-08-2010 09:18

just wanted to congratulate retlaw on his exhibition at howarth art gallery , which i visited on saturday, there was a picture of a Pte J Ormerod was he my gt grandfather 27670 L.N.L ?

Retlaw 02-08-2010 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 833244)
just wanted to congratulate retlaw on his exhibition at howarth art gallery , which i visited on saturday, there was a picture of a Pte J Ormerod was he my gt grandfather 27670 L.N.L ?

James Ormerod. Private 27670. Loyal North Lancs.
lived at 9 Stone Row, Clayton le Moors.

Retlaw

CHAZ1975 02-08-2010 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 833278)
James Ormerod. Private 27670. Loyal North Lancs.
lived at 9 Stone Row, Clayton le Moors.

Retlaw

Thats right , but you had a photograph on display of a Pte J Ormerod i wanted to know if it was him

Retlaw 02-08-2010 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 833295)
Thats right , but you had a photograph on display of a Pte J Ormerod i wanted to know if it was him

The J. Ormerod in the display is James Ormerod Private in the East Lancs, one of 3 brothers of New Lane, Oswaldtwistle, who served in the forces.
Retlaw.

CHAZ1975 02-08-2010 14:10

fiddlesticks !!!!

did all soldiers have photo taken? how would i find the photo of my james ormerod?

Retlaw 02-08-2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 833313)
fiddlesticks !!!!

did all soldiers have photo taken? how would i find the photo of my james ormerod?

Whats with the fiddlesticks. ?
Most soldiers had their photo's taken in uniform, to send home to relatives.
As for your james ormerod if I haven't got his picture, then your going to have to ask any of his surviving relatives if they have one.
Retlaw

CHAZ1975 03-08-2010 12:15

I tried ****** but the swear filter got me ha ha ha!! he only has 3 children left and i know 2 haven't got A picture the 3rd i've not seen since i was a child

thanks anyway

Retlaw 09-08-2010 19:23

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you are after.
I can anticipate the next question, what does it all mean.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 09-08-2010 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 835443)
I can anticipate the next question, what does it all mean.

Retlaw.

Nice one Retlaw:)

CHAZ1975 10-08-2010 08:30

No i understand most of that apart from what was that saying happened on 14/3/1919 , is that when his service ended ? i know it says he was in france but i believe he was also in salonica and while he was there contracted malaria on number of occaisions

CHAZ1975 10-08-2010 08:53

Do you have any personal details of him ? where he lived ? mothers/fathers name etc?

Retlaw 10-08-2010 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 835530)
No i understand most of that apart from what was that saying happened on 14/3/1919 , is that when his service ended ? i know it says he was in france but i believe he was also in salonica and while he was there contracted malaria on number of occaisions

Discharged to Class Z Army reserve in 1919.
awarded the 1915 Star when he went to France in Sept 1915. Soldiers went all over the world during WW1, some with as many as five different postings and regiments.
Unless he lived in Greater Accrington, I won't know of him.

Retlaw.

s.pollard 11-08-2010 16:36

Went up there today .
Spent some time looking but to no avail .
Looks like there are no pics for me.
There again I did like seeing the pics.
A lot of work,thought and detemination gone into this collection. I was well impressed, thanks

Gordon Booth 13-09-2010 16:40

Retlaw, my grandfather(mothers side) was Thomas Barnes, originally from Baxenden I think,lived on Frederick Street in the 40's.
As I remember, he may have lied about his age to join up. He was a British Army boxing champion(featherweight or lightweight??) he said, he certainly had the flattest nose I've ever seen!
My grandmother always said he was as mad(or stupid) as he was because a German smashed a rifle butt on his head.I'm sure she said he had to have his helmet cut off or levered off, although I can't see that. I'm sure I have a photo of him in his uniform. If it's any use to you I'll try to find it.

Retlaw 13-09-2010 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 844625)
Retlaw, my grandfather(mothers side) was Thomas Barnes, originally from Baxenden I think,lived on Frederick Street in the 40's.
As I remember, he may have lied about his age to join up. He was a British Army boxing champion(featherweight or lightweight??) he said, he certainly had the flattest nose I've ever seen!
My grandmother always said he was as mad(or stupid) as he was because a German smashed a rifle butt on his head.I'm sure she said he had to have his helmet cut off or levered off, although I can't see that. I'm sure I have a photo of him in his uniform. If it's any use to you I'll try to find it.

Thomas Barnes.
Sgt, 13337. Cameronians.
Awarded M.M. Oct 1916.
Parents lived at 18 Hill St, Baxenden.
Wife & one child lived at 42 Frederick St, Acc.

Retlaw.

Gordon Booth 14-09-2010 11:53

I'd no idea he was awarded the Military Medal, he never mentioned it but then he never mentioned the War. Perhaps the happy hours he spent in the trenches and trudging across No-Mans-Land explain why his behaviour was sometimes a little strange? PTS or shell shock?
Thanks for that info, Retlaw, I spent last night trying to find out more(unsuccessfully) but I'll keep looking.

cashman 14-09-2010 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 844798)
I'd no idea he was awarded the Military Medal, he never mentioned it but then he never mentioned the War. Perhaps the happy hours he spent in the trenches and trudging across No-Mans-Land explain why his behaviour was sometimes a little strange? PTS or shell shock?
Thanks for that info, Retlaw, I spent last night trying to find out more(unsuccessfully) but I'll keep looking.

think many never talked about it gordon, me grandad never did, nor me dad about WW2, found out many things about it when me nan died.

JCB 14-09-2010 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 844799)
think many never talked about it gordon, me grandad never did, nor me dad about WW2, found out many things about it when me nan died.

Same with my dad and other relatives in WW2 . I never learned much from them about the war .

accypete 26-09-2010 22:45

Charles Flynn Augusta Street Accrington I believed he joined the pals. He was gassed during the war and died in the early 1920's.
Does any one have any information on him ......Im still trying to get a photo no luck at the moment and still looking .

Retlaw 27-09-2010 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by accypete (Post 847814)
Charles Flynn Augusta Street Accrington I believed he joined the pals. He was gassed during the war and died in the early 1920's.
Does any one have any information on him ......Im still trying to get a photo no luck at the moment and still looking .

Charles Flynn
Pte. 17855. 11th East Lancs.
Worked at Howard & Bulloughs.
Lived at 11 Napier St and also at 3 Augusta St.
Sacred Heart R-O-H.
Died of Pneumonia Dec 1925.

Retlaw.

spw 08-11-2010 19:51

1 Attachment(s)
Appropriate for this week. Attached is a postcard of the memorial at St Peters. Judging by the pile of soil under the window, I expect this was taken at the dedication ceremony.

Nicky L 13-12-2010 22:46

Hi Retlaw, While I'm on a roll on here with people being full of amazing historical knowledge my family research led me down another path. I was in Accrington Library looking up Green Haworth and I happened to remember my grandma taking me in there when I was little to show me a picture of my great grandad which was hanging on the stairs. His name was Joe Bradshaw (Sergeant Bradshaw of the Church Battery R.F.A (T.F) and he was the first person in that artillary to receive the D.C.M for 'great coolness and bravery' when they were under fire on JUne 10th & 11th 1915, South West of Krithia (Dardanelles). I have printed off the articles from the library but just wondered if anyoneelse may have come across anything.

He was shot in the back but survived. His parents lived at 17 Hartley Street, Oswaldtwistle at the time when he received the medal, although when the articles were written hes wasn't actually aware of the being awarded the honour but was his parents were notified by two other men who fought with him when they were writing to their parents. The names of the men were Quartermaster Sergeant W.Gastall to his father George Gastall of Fairfield Terrace and Gunner Wright sond of Mr.A.R Wright, school attendance officer, Oswaldwtistle.

Not sure if you will be able to make head nor tail of this but its worth a shot!
Thanks in advance.

Retlaw 14-12-2010 12:18

1 Attachment(s)
Do you mean the attached. The libray has a scrap book of over 2500 news articles I collected of WW1 episodes.
Its only available to genuine family researchers.

Retlaw.

Nicky L 14-12-2010 13:35

That is the very person. I have that and 3 other articles but kind of hit a wall after that. I was very pleased to have got the facts from the articles that I did but thought it was worth a shot asking on here if there was something I missed. There is only my great uncle that is still alive so he was suprised that I found what I did.

Retlaw 14-12-2010 15:03

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky L (Post 868947)
That is the very person. I have that and 3 other articles but kind of hit a wall after that. I was very pleased to have got the facts from the articles that I did but thought it was worth a shot asking on here if there was something I missed. There is only my great uncle that is still alive so he was suprised that I found what I did.

I've not been able to locate his service records, even his medal
card spells his name as John. His service number L/267 and the qualifying date for the 15 Star is correct, but he should have the 14/15 Star as well.
Retlaw

Nicky L 14-12-2010 16:10

Wow, I wondered why when I kept putting local searches in for the DCM that the name came up as John. Do you think this would be the same person? My grandma never said anything about him possibly being called John?

Thankyou so much for your help with this by the way, it really is fascinating what has turned up so far.

Retlaw 14-12-2010 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky L (Post 868967)
Wow, I wondered why when I kept putting local searches in for the DCM that the name came up as John. Do you think this would be the same person? My grandma never said anything about him possibly being called John?

Thankyou so much for your help with this by the way, it really is fascinating what has turned up so far.

Yes it is the same person he may have been called Joe, by every one who knew him, but on military rcords if a man makes an allotment against his pay, he has to provide proof, ie certificates.
Don't bother about his name being other than what you expected, there are 10 spelling errors 11 double entries & 83 names missing on Accrington's War Memorial alone.

Retlaw.

Nicky L 14-12-2010 21:02

Oh I see. I went to see my great uncle Joe tonight and he was adamant his dad was called Joe so that makes a lot of sense. Could I please ask what the 14/15 star is? I printed off the document you posted above but to me it doesn't really make that much sense to me. Seen as he was of the Church Battery, does that make him one of the Accrington Pals or is that different? Its a shame I won't be able to see his DCM, somebody within the family that nobody ever sees has it so I can only wonder!

Retlaw 14-12-2010 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky L (Post 869042)
Oh I see. I went to see my great uncle Joe tonight and he was adamant his dad was called Joe so that makes a lot of sense. Could I please ask what the 14/15 star is? I printed off the document you posted above but to me it doesn't really make that much sense to me. Seen as he was of the Church Battery, does that make him one of the Accrington Pals or is that different? Its a shame I won't be able to see his DCM, somebody within the family that nobody ever sees has it so I can only wonder!

Joe or John, was in the Royal Field Artillery, the Accrington Pals was the 11th (service) Battalion East Lancs Regiment, an infantry battalion, completely different.
Only a few Accrington Pals got the 15 Star, they were part of an advance party sent to France, then the war office changed their minds and sent them to Egwipt, (Egypt)
What part of the medal card do you not understand, if you mean the numbers in the lower left quarter, it refers to the actuall medal rolls, which are large books each containing about 5000 entries, held at the Public Record Office Kew.

There are firms that can supply replica medals, but be carefull some firms take low value medal remove the numbers and remark them to increase ther value.
Have a look at this web site, you may find what you want without subscribing. http://1914-1i918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?

Retlaw.

RHFOY 22-12-2010 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 680504)
As some of you may know I'm reseaching the lives of men from Greater Accrington, (now Hyndburn) who served in the first World War.
I now have the names of over 14000 men and photos of near 3000 of them.
What I can't understand is how so many men can have so few descendants on Accy Web. If any of you have any photo's, postcards, letters or diaries from that era
could you let me know.

Thanks
Retlaw.

what a very good idea, it is never ever to late to continue to find out who these very very brave men were, ive been watchiNG ww1 in colour on sky history channels, and would suggest to anyone (who forget so easily about these HEROES)... TO WATCH ALL PROGRAMNES ABOUT WW1/WW2

tod 26-02-2011 16:31

Hi Just stumbled across this great website !!. I'm interested in the Duckett family. My Grand uncle ? was James Francis Duckett who was killed at Ypres on 14th September 1917. He lived at Liina St. I would be very greatful to anyone with info. on anything Duckett related....Many Thanks....................... PS Retlaw I think you're doing a fantastic job

Retlaw 26-02-2011 22:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tod (Post 887548)
Hi Just stumbled across this great website !!. I'm interested in the Duckett family. My Grand uncle ? was James Francis Duckett who was killed at Ypres on 14th September 1917. He lived at Liina St. I would be very greatful to anyone with info. on anything Duckett related....Many Thanks....................... PS Retlaw I think you're doing a fantastic job

James Francis Ducket.
Private. 240352. 1/5th East Lancs
K.i.A. Sept 14/15th 1917
Buried in Reservoir Cemetery, Ypres.

Retlaw

tod 27-02-2011 08:39

Many thanks Retlaw, thats fantastic. I must admit, I didn't have much interest in the 2 world wars, but now I'm hooked. Especially the first world war and The Pals...Thanks again....Tod.

bekibird 01-03-2011 09:57

I wonder if you can help with this one...
I think I posted some time ago about my ancestor John Southworth. I have found out that he served in the Great war and was part of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. The number given on his service record is 2874.
He is a bit of an enigma as his obituary in The Accrington Observer (18th Feb 1933) says he served as a painter and decorator with the Accrington and Church Co-operative society for 23 years (he died in 1933 - so his employment would have begun in around 1913), served in The Great War and was a prisoner of war in Germany for over three years.
John was not born in Accrington, but in Chorley in 1884. On his service records he lists his residence as being 40 Peel Hall Street Preston. I find this odd since he was working for an Accrington based firm in 1913, but joined the army in 1914.
I would really like to find out about his time spent as a prisoner of war and also about when he got back. He married his wife Esther in 1927 and died in February 1933, where he was buried by the Accrington and Church Co-operative society.
I am not sure if John was really an Accrington man, but he ended his days as one, dying at 24 Maden Street, Accrington. If anyone can provide help on how to find out where he would have been held in Germany I would be very grateful.

anzac 01-03-2011 10:46

John was living in Church at 72a Lion Street in 1911 along with his mother as boarders with his sister Jane Halliday and her family.

He is listed as a House Painter on the census .

Retlaw 01-03-2011 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekibird (Post 888277)
I wonder if you can help with this one...
I think I posted some time ago about my ancestor John Southworth. I have found out that he served in the Great war and was part of the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. The number given on his service record is 2874.
He is a bit of an enigma as his obituary in The Accrington Observer (18th Feb 1933) says he served as a painter and decorator with the Accrington and Church Co-operative society for 23 years (he died in 1933 - so his employment would have begun in around 1913), served in The Great War and was a prisoner of war in Germany for over three years.
John was not born in Accrington, but in Chorley in 1884. On his service records he lists his residence as being 40 Peel Hall Street Preston. I find this odd since he was working for an Accrington based firm in 1913, but joined the army in 1914.
I would really like to find out about his time spent as a prisoner of war and also about when he got back. He married his wife Esther in 1927 and died in February 1933, where he was buried by the Accrington and Church Co-operative society.
I am not sure if John was really an Accrington man, but he ended his days as one, dying at 24 Maden Street, Accrington. If anyone can provide help on how to find out where he would have been held in Germany I would be very grateful.

When John attended the P-O-W. Welcome home ceremony in January 1919, he gave his address as 25 Commercial St, Church.
If you have his service papers, and it doesn't mention a German P-O-W Camp, then your only hope is the Red Cross Society records, which have not yet come on line, as they are in Geneva, and could be years yet.
I never foundd a report of his being taken prisoner in the local newspapers, but if he was not a native of Accrington, then it may have been reported in his home town.
Retlaw

bekibird 01-03-2011 12:21

Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies!! It makes sense that he was in Accrington around the time he joined up! His army records show that his medals and effects were sent to his mother Elizabeth - she signed for them - and also that he was missing, presumed dead. What a terrible thing for a family to go through, when he was alive, albeit somewhere in Germany. I will get on with having a look at newspapers in Preston around the time as the Preston address is where it is listed his mother and father were living when he joined up. Thanks again.
Is there a copy of the welcome home ceremony attendees Retlaw? I would very much like to see it.

Retlaw 01-03-2011 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekibird (Post 888303)
Wow!! Thanks for the speedy replies!! It makes sense that he was in Accrington around the time he joined up! His army records show that his medals and effects were sent to his mother Elizabeth - she signed for them - and also that he was missing, presumed dead. What a terrible thing for a family to go through, when he was alive, albeit somewhere in Germany. I will get on with having a look at newspapers in Preston around the time as the Preston address is where it is listed his mother and father were living when he joined up. Thanks again.
Is there a copy of the welcome home ceremony attendees Retlaw? I would very much like to see it.

Yes in Accrington library, its just a list of surnames, first Initial, and an address, to any one else other than a family member its just a meaningless list of names.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 01-03-2011 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekibird (Post 888303)

I've had a look at John's surviving records, and there are several papers missing, his medical report would have shown his state of health & when he was discharged. His Z11 would have shown where he was going to live on discharge, there is also an anomaly as to why his mother acknowledged reciept of with B.W.M. & V.M., whilst John signed for his 15/15 star in 1920.
You say he was born in 1895, then he would have been in employment in 1910, possibly from when he was 12 or 13 years of age.
During my searches I have found several mens papers in the wrong file, so if I come across any of his papers, I will save them and send them on. I always report these errors to Ancestry.
I got an acknowledgement from Ancestry last week, for the last batch of errors I sent in, 13 men wrongly named
Retlaw

bekibird 04-03-2011 16:41

What does this anomaly mean? Would the fact that he was POW have anything to do with it? Have your searches come up with anything to show he was a POW? The only reason I think he was POW was because it says so in his obituary - Accrington Observer 18th Feb 1933. Also its good to hear you are on Ancestry - if you like I could add you as a friend on there so you can look at my tree if you like - lots of Haworths on there!! John's wife is the Haworth line I am researching.

Retlaw 04-03-2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekibird (Post 889120)
What does this anomaly mean? Would the fact that he was POW have anything to do with it? Have your searches come up with anything to show he was a POW? The only reason I think he was POW was because it says so in his obituary - Accrington Observer 18th Feb 1933. Also its good to hear you are on Ancestry - if you like I could add you as a friend on there so you can look at my tree if you like - lots of Haworths on there!! John's wife is the Haworth line I am researching.

The anomaly is that medals were not issued until 1921/22, he signs for his 14/15 Star, and his mother signs for the B.W.M. & the V.M.
He is in the repatriated P-o-W list. All British P-o-W's were home by the end of February 1919, Jerry P-o-W's had to wait, some were still being held in camps until late 1919.
Retlaw.

tod 05-03-2011 13:02

Hi, Does anyone know if theres a website with photos of the pals.I seem to remember readiing there was an exhibition of them sometime ago,but as I don't live in the area it would be nice to see.....many thanks Tod

cashman 05-03-2011 13:05

There was n exhibition up Haworth Park awhile back tod, i went, am sure Retlaw or Atarah etc will know if theres a website, i never seen one.:)

tod 05-03-2011 13:28

Thanks Cashman

Retlaw 05-03-2011 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by tod (Post 889355)
Hi, Does anyone know if theres a website with photos of the pals.I seem to remember readiing there was an exhibition of them sometime ago,but as I don't live in the area it would be nice to see.....many thanks Tod

The exihibition only gets put up in time for July 1st, at the present moment, all the pictures, and the Pals Memorial scroll, are in my front room.

Retlaw.

tod 05-03-2011 16:06

Thanks Retlaw, It would be nice to think that one day there could be a website so people far away could see it all, but at least it is in safe hands. Thanks again

Retlaw 05-03-2011 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tod (Post 889488)
Thanks Retlaw, It would be nice to think that one day there could be a website so people far away could see it all, but at least it is in safe hands. Thanks again

I doubt if there will be a website, lots of people have said they should be online, ok, but there are several 1000 pictures, and it would take up a lot of web space, who creates the web site, who pays for it, and what would I gain after all that work.
Retlaw

tod 06-03-2011 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 889509)
I doubt if there will be a website, lots of people have said they should be online, ok, but there are several 1000 pictures, and it would take up a lot of web space, who creates the web site, who pays for it, and what would I gain after all that work.
Retlaw

Good morning Retlaw.To be honest, I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to do all that work etc. either and you are very helpful on here anyway.Keep up the good work............tod

steve2qec 17-04-2011 14:53

Hi Walter,
Thanks for the info on Stephen Kennedy (15121). Is there any chance you could post his medal card on here? If not, can you let me know what his "theatre of war" was?
Also, what does the abbreviation R.F.A. stand for on your e-mail?
Steve

Retlaw 17-04-2011 18:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 899198)
Hi Walter,
Thanks for the info on Stephen Kennedy (15121). Is there any chance you could post his medal card on here? If not, can you let me know what his "theatre of war" was?
Also, what does the abbreviation R.F.A. stand for on your e-mail?
Steve

I've attached his medal Card.
He was in France.
Class Z, means he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve

R.F.A. = Royal Field Artillery.
R.G.A. = Royal Garrison Artillery
There was also the County Palatine Artillery.
Church Artillery.
Accrington & Burnley Howitzers.
Retlaw.

steve2qec 17-04-2011 19:33

Fantastic! Thanks.

Alan Gilmartin 26-05-2011 05:57

Good morning Retlaw, Im trying to find out if my grandad, Patrick Gilmartin, served in WW1, he would have resided, in iether Willow St, Or Lower Barnes St, Clayton, & Which site do I go to, to find my dads service, record, in ww2, he served in India. And also I though it would be nice if I could wear a medal on ANZAC day, on behalf of my great uncle Anthony Gilmartin, who was killed in Galipolli, where would I get such a medal, just to show he has'nt been forgoten.

steve2qec 26-05-2011 08:18

Hi Alan, check this out - there's mention of a William Gilmartin living at 23 Willow St.
Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Clayton-le-Moors | Polling District K

steve2qec 26-05-2011 08:19

.....could he be your grandads brother?

Alan Gilmartin 26-05-2011 09:13

Thanks but, Im pretty sure he didnt have a brother called William or Billy

JCB 26-05-2011 09:34

Through Accy Web and some pms I have found out that the three Broadleys on the Accrington war memorial were related to me . I never knew that . I have also discovered that my dad had three and not two sisters . One died aged one year old. That was a complete surprise .

Alan Gilmartin 26-05-2011 09:50

Well Steve & Retlaw, my brother just rang me, my grandad indeed did have a brother Billy, and my grandad worked down Dicky pit so he was exempt from going to war. I'd still like to have some form of recogntion for Anthony Gilmartin.

Retlaw 26-05-2011 11:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 908809)
Well Steve & Retlaw, my brother just rang me, my grandad indeed did have a brother Billy, and my grandad worked down Dicky pit so he was exempt from going to war. I'd still like to have some form of recogntion for Anthony Gilmartin.

HI Alan
I've attached a news cutting of Anthony, can't remember if I've done it before.
William Gilmartin
Private 15208. 11th East lancs.
lived at 23 Willow St Clayton.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 26-05-2011 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 908808)
Through Accy Web and some pms I have found out that the three Broadleys on the Accrington war memorial were related to me . I never knew that . I have also discovered that my dad had three and not two sisters . One died aged one year old. That was a complete surprise .

I have done a lot of work on those Broadleys,
and have been in contact with several of their
surviving relatives.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 26-05-2011 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 908790)
Good morning Retlaw, Im trying to find out if my grandad, Patrick Gilmartin, served in WW1, he would have resided, in iether Willow St, Or Lower Barnes St, Clayton, & Which site do I go to, to find my dads service, record, in ww2, he served in India. And also I though it would be nice if I could wear a medal on ANZAC day, on behalf of my great uncle Anthony Gilmartin, who was killed in Galipolli, where would I get such a medal, just to show he has'nt been forgoten.

Hi Alan
I do not have any record of a Patrick Gilmartin in my files. WW2 Service records are not available on line, they are available by snail mail to a direct descendant, sorry I no longer have the address of where to apply,
Fulwood Museum will know. As for the medals, try awardmedals.com/british-war-medal-1914-1920-p-455-html
Retlaw.

Retlaw 26-05-2011 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 908801)
Hi Alan, check this out - there's mention of a William Gilmartin living at 23 Willow St.
Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List | Clayton-le-Moors | Polling District K

I indexed all the local 1918 Absent Voters list about 10 years ago, there are several hundred mistakes in them, they were not compiled by the soldiers them selves, some of the mistakes include numbers tranposed, wrong regiments, misspelt christian names, even two men who had been killed in 1916, and several men who had been discharged, and were no longer serving, when those lists were compiled. My indexes have been corrected from known military sources.
Retlaw.

Alan Gilmartin 31-05-2011 06:01

Thanks retlaw, my brother said grandad ( Patrick ) worked down the pit so he was exempt. Yes you did post a picture of Anthony last year, thanks again.

Tina 04-06-2011 00:51

Hi Retlaw,

My maiden name is Margerison, and I grew up in Accrington, though I now live in Canada, and have been researching my family history for many years.

I understand that your main focus is on the Hyndburn area, and I don't know if you have any interest in surrounding locales, but I do have a lot of info - and photos - on relatives who served from the Haslingden area. I understand that you have done some work with William Turner? One of my relatives was mentioned in his book : "The Men of Haslingden Grane", and I have several photographs of relatives in uniform, as well as war records and various details that you may be interested in. I am most happy to contribute to your work if you are interested. Let me know. Or perhaps you have info for me that I have not been able to find.

My main research interest is in the Margerison line but my maternal Grandfather was said to have been a sniper in the war.

I am always pleased to see people working so hard to preserve the amazing history of people and places. Thank you !

Retlaw 04-06-2011 11:58

P.M. Sent
Retlaw.

tod 03-07-2011 13:59

Hi Retlaw, I've just found out this morning that another relation from Accrington died in WW1. He was Robert Duckett (b1877) I believe he was in The Lancashire Fusiliers and was KIA on the 23rd October 1916.Any information you could pass on would be very grateful...regards Tod.

Retlaw 03-07-2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tod (Post 916357)
Hi Retlaw, I've just found out this morning that another relation from Accrington died in WW1. He was Robert Duckett (b1877) I believe he was in The Lancashire Fusiliers and was KIA on the 23rd October 1916.Any information you could pass on would be very grateful...regards Tod.

Robert Duckett. (35)
Cpl. 18495. 2nd Lancs Fus.
K.i.A. 23-10-1916.
Having no known grave, his name is on the Thiepval Memorial, France.
Accrington & District Catholics R-O-H, Dale St, Accrington.
Sacred Heart R-O-H.
Greater Accrington R-O-H.
Sacred Heart War Memorial
Accrington War Memorial.
Retlaw.

Not found any news paper articles on him.